Travel with the Leddicks to Sitka Alaska and beyond.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Noises Off

What’s the difference between noise and sound? According to the official definition sound is an auditory impression. Noise is any sound that is undesired.

Lately I’ve realized how powerful the sense of hearing is. I heard a song in the coffee shop that I hadn’t heard since my son played it for me in Denver. Immediately it brought a smile to my face and then my countenance fell to sadness as I realized how much I missed my son. All that emotion set into action by sound.

Later that day I was walking down main street when I heard a cell phone ring. It was the same ring tone my ex-boss had and for a split second I was mentally transported back to my office, to my old desk, and co-workers. The old familiar came rushing back – a powerful, unstoppable force.

I’ve always known sound was powerful. When I got my first (and last) cell phone, I didn’t want an obtrusive, annoying ring tone, so I chose “chirping birds” as my ring. This was a nice friendly ring. The only problem was that every time I was outside I’d jump to grab my phone when I heard birds. I decided this was a good way to turn nature’s soothing sound into an anxiety trigger. My cell phone was turning sound into noise. Or rather it was the way I was receiving the sound. The sound didn’t change, but how I perceived it had.

I remember when my three sons were in their early teens. Their bickering and fighting was truly noise, but now, as young adults, I can laugh at their occasional arguments. Maybe it is because their disagreements are so few and far between or maybe I just appreciate their interaction so much more now. Whatever the reason, this sound is no longer noise to my ears.

Since I’ve been in Sitka I’ve resolved to never let other sounds become noise. The rain, excited happy tourists, my dog wining to go out at 5:00am and yes, birds.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I love the blog...makes me miss Alaska, and You and Steve. Thanks for the wonderous writings.

11:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home