Travel with the Leddicks to Sitka Alaska and beyond.

Friday, July 21, 2006

2 Week Anniversary

Today marks our 2 week anniversary in Sitka. So far it has been a fairly smooth transition. Steve has begun his job and in typical Steve fashion is ecstatic about every aspect of it. He commutes to work on nearby Japonski Island via road bike. During his 2 mile trek he climbs a couple of hills, passes through downtown, traverses a cable-stay bridge and never gets stuck in traffic.

I've managed to land a "part-time" job with the local produce shippers. Every other weekend I'll be outside in the fresh air mingling with the locals and selling produce. My other job (so far) is a volunteer position at the "White Elephant." The White "E" (as the locals call it) is a thrift store that is 100% volunteer run. Donated items are sold with all proceeds going back to the local community. I've been able to find some real bargains at the White E including a $4.00 microwave and a $6.00 iron and ironing board.

The other day when I went to get our internet and cable TV connected the power went out. The lady at the counter said, "I guess an eagle must have run into the transformer again." I asked if that happened a lot and she said, "occasionally." Power was out all over Sitka, traffic lights were out, ATM's were down, the town was powerless. No one was angry or anxious, they just chatted and patiently waited for the power to be restored. It was a bit of insight as to this town's psyche and I found it refreshing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home