Travel with the Leddicks to Sitka Alaska and beyond.

Sunday, February 04, 2007

The Sounds of Silence


It's 8:12pm here in Sitka. The Superbowl is over, our friends Tim and Maria have gone home (along with Chiquita). Steve's sleeping, Oscar is in his dog bed sound asleep and Felix is in the chair sound asleep. It is very still and quiet, all I can hear is the sound of a soft rain outside. There is a calm peacefulness here, one that is only heard (or not heard) here in Alaska. No cars, no street noise of any kind. No voices, no foot-steps, not even a wind is blowing tonight. There is a faint tick of a battery operated clock coming from across the room and the click of the keys as I type, but that only serves to prove I've not lost my hearing. This peacefulness penetrates to my soul. I think it is one of the reasons I love it here, this calm serenity that comes with the darkness. Lest you think I am being melancholy I'm not, in fact I'm very happy and content. If I were a cat, I'd be purring.
Shalom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home